Wednesday, January 18, 2006

sTEAdman

As I was looking for books on Amazon, I came across a book I am so glad I had accidentally found. It's called Gonzo the Art. The great person behind this beauty is Ralph Steadman. A seventy year old who started as a cartoonist and ended up with what I personally perceive as masterpieces. Looking at his work you can't help but feel an exquisite combination of pleasure and irritation that is invigorating.


His work is indisputably eccentric. He did illustrations for "Alice in Wonderland", "Treasure Island" and "Animal Farm". He has written books of the lives of Sigmund Freud and Leonardo da Vinci. As well as a book called "The Big I Am", the story of God. Steadman collaborated with American writer Hunter S. Thompson to bring alive GONZO journalism. Thompson's state-of-the-art book in the genre being; "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" was made into a feature film.


Steadman is a printmaker as well, and the manner in which he practices it is absolutely fascinating. His impressions included writers from William Shakespeare to William Burroughs. He wrote the libretto; The lyrics in an opera, for an eco-oratorio (religious opera without stage action or costumes) under the name "Plague and the Moonflower". It was performed in five cathedrals in the UK and BBC claimed two films in its subject in 1994. He has two prize-winning books under the names "The Grapes of Ralph" and "Still Life With Bottle."


And much more to come about Steadman, sip by sip people.
For now here is some of his work... make sure to enjoy them... hopefully.







9 Comments:

Blogger lulu said...

These pictures are so awesome! They completely caught me off-guard, which I love. Thanks!

3:05 AM  
Blogger Dar said...

Intresting :) ! but whats wrong with the " Tea " stuff , are u a Tea addict or something ??!!? lol
Cheeerz!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Sabri Hakim said...

AMAZING, the 2nd and 3rd one!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Nadir B. said...

wow, really nice, i like the bunny sketch!!!

1:14 PM  
Anonymous bilotee said...

lulu: you are more than welcome, I am so glad you loved them.

dar: I am not a tea addict, not at all. it is just a way to emphasize on my attempt to tea time. I appreciate you noticing it.

sabri hakim: totally agree mr. guy with the talented eye.

nadir b.: they are nice. the rabbit illustration is for Alice in Wonderland. it is quite unbelievable.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Ohoud said...

Interesting Art I must say. I'd really be interested in seeing more on his work, especially his illustration on animal farm!iza ma feeha ghalabeh:o

Nice subject, keep it up Bilotee :)

9:10 PM  
Anonymous bilotee said...

hey ohoud, thank you!

I am going to be posting more of Ralph's work, I'll make sure to include some animal farm illustrations just for you :)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Tololy said...

I agree with Lulu, awesome visuals. The second one was the most appealing to me, and the collection as a whole left me wondering if Steadman is a violent person.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Ibrahim said...

lovely ... i liked the last two ...

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home